There are a few things I want to record after one week of sticking to the Slow Carb Diet, and a few notes I’d like to make for posterity.
So technically, at the end of week 1, I lost .9 pounds and .2% body fat.
Not amazing. BUT . . . there are things I could have done better to improve. Ferris specifically cautions against these three things as slowing fat loss, and I’ve been guilty of all three:
- Too much wine. I’m not sure exactly what “two glasses” of wine is, but while I stuck to two glasses of wine every day, they were big ones. Really big ones. So I’m confident I had more than the recommended amount.
- Too many nuts. One night I added toasted nuts to the green beans, and then, after dinner, I ate all the rest of the nuts I was saving to add to other green veggies later in the week. Then Ray bought a huge container of those salted nuts from Costco (cashews, pecans, etc.) and a few times I found myself binging on nuts. Yes, binging.
- Not enough water. Mostly likely enough said. I drink too much coffee and wine . . .and not enough water.
So I’m going to work on these three things this week. Measure my wine, drink a minimum of 64 ounces of water, and stay away from the nuts.
Here are a few things I did well that make me proud:
- Supplementation: I took my supplements from Primal Blueprint Master Formula twice a day every day.
- Template: Every meal I had contained greens, protein, and legumes. Sometimes I am not good about eating greens (I have good intentions about tossing those fresh roasted sweet potatoes with a salad, but then they are just so good on their own . . .) , but I successfully integrated a large amount of greens with every meal this week.
- No Sugar: I had no sugar (except for the naturally occurring sugar that occurs in veggies, for example) the entire week (until the cheat day, of course).
- No Gluten: I didn’t eat any gluten the entire week (until the cheat day).
- No White food: except for white beans with one meal, which I think is ok.
- In general remembering to post pictures of what I ate every day . . . and blogging every day too.
- Tons of energy! I was super productive. I got SO MUCH DONE this week.
- Tons of energy (2)! I always wanted to get out and walk Bird while I listened to an edifying podcast that would improve my work performance.
- Easy meal planning/prep. I love to cook, but sometimes planning meals, buying ingredients, etc. is just overwhelming. So this template makes it easy to have a variety of food in the house that is easy to put together into a delicious meal quickly. So I get to cook every night, which makes me delighted.
- Feeling full and then stopping eating.
What I’m Looking Forward to in Week 2:
- Seeing what impact the supplementation, combined with the diet, does to impact weight loss.
- Continuing to blog and take pictures of my food.
- Experimenting with different food combinations using the template to see what new creative pairings I can come up with.
- Doing this thing for my body, health, wellness, mind, creativity.